Making Waves: A Festival of Sound
An exploration of sound from Tyneside's past and music technology
Until Sunday 27 March
Online with Google Arts & Culture, throughout the museum galleries, and a family event programme.
An exploration of sound including the sounds of Tyneside's past and the development of music technology.
Making Waves: A Festival of Sound features
- New online sound exhibition - see and hear Unlocking our Sound Heritage here.
- New online exhibition - see A History of Music Technology in the Home here.
- New gallery panels highlighting sound related objects from record players to car horns with a QR code trail
- A family event programme for under 5s and school aged children featuring:
- Chalk present a Sound Adventure! 22 January, free
- Hartbeeps musical sessions for babies and toddlers, various dates in January and February
- Hartbeep Toddler Disco, 25 February
Sounds featured in the online exhibition tell a rich story of the diverse history of our region. We'll be asking you over the course of the programme which sounds you think we should capture to reflect Tyneside in 2022.
The Unlocking our Sound Heritage online exhibition features recordings digitised as part of the British Library Unlocking Our Sound Heritage project – which has preserved sound recordings that were at risk of being lost forever.