Planning your visit
You do not need to book and entry is free, donations are welcome.
Please note the museum closes on Bank Holidays and Christmas.
|Monday||10am - 4pm|
|*Tuesday||10am - 4pm|
|Wednesday||10am - 4pm|
|Thursday||10am - 4pm|
|Friday||10am - 4pm|
|Saturday||11am - 4pm|
|Sunday||11am - 4pm|
Closed Bank Holidays. *The museum opens at 12.30pm on Wednesday 18 October for staff training.
Play Tyne (the water play for under 7s) room is closed for necessary maintenance work.
Everybody is Welcome at Discovery Museum
- Our café is open, serving hot and cold refreshments and light bites.
- Enjoy three floors of galleries telling the story of Newcastle and the surrounding area.
- There are packed lunch spaces available, and male and female baby changing.
- For our full access guidance please click here.
- Visit our gift shop with a quirky array of toys, books and mementos.
A 360 Virtual Reality Accessibility Tour
Watch this 360 Virtual Reality Accessibility Tour, brought the museum by Newcastle Gateshead Initiative (NGI) as part of the Everybody Welcome initiative.
Help us ensure art, culture and heritage continue to make a positive impact in our region.
Schools and voluntary educational groups
If you wish to bring a school or college group to the museum please contact the Learning team who will be able to discuss your visit requirements directly with you. Email: email@example.com or call (0191) 232 6789.
The Learning Team now provide a new virtual learning programme - take a look here at what's available.